Wife It Like You Own It: Life Lessons from a Housewife in Anti-Housewife America

Q: Why do I take care of my husband & our home?

A: Because they’re mine.

I am amused by the idea that a housewife takes care of a home only for her husband's benefit, as if she doesn't live in the home too or receive the same benefits as her husband for her hard work.

I am not some chore whore who resides in a separate she shed who doesn't get to enjoy the fruits of my daily labors.

I am the wife who shares the home with my husband and is entrusted with the home we own to make sure it gets better every day.

I am the one who gets to do my work the way I want to do it while my husband is away at work, and I get to enjoy alone time during the day doing what I want before we have calm evenings together, during which neither of us is rushing around trying to get the daily tasks done because I already did them.

Homes are real property which makes them valuable investments.

Not improving a home, either for personal enjoyment or to sell/rent in the future, is a waste of the investment and the time residing in the home. 

Even an apartment is an investment of money that can’t be refunded along with the time living in it, so taking care of an apartment or rental like an actual owner is no less important than taking care of an owned residence; especially when the condition that a living space and husband are kept in is a reflection on the wife who cares for them.

To me the question is: Why have a home or a husband if the wife doesn’t want to take care of them? 

Both a home and a husband need care, and the best person to care for both is the one who owns them – the wife. 

Wake up, women, and stop mindlessly believing the anti-housewife sentiment that only the husband gets a benefit from the wife staying at home.

Q: Why do I take care of my husband & our home?  A: Because they’re mine.
While my husband does get the benefit of a clean and orderly home, I enjoy that same benefit along with the pride of making it clean and orderly.

Also, we both benefit from me now being a happy housewife who no longer grinds her teeth in her sleep, and who isn't stressed out from commuting and dealing with the always-changing demands of the work world.

I also receive the benefit of getting to stay home all day with our cats, and no paying job ever gave me such a great benefit!

What do you like about being a housewife?

Share your thoughts in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! Well said. You are an inspiration to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you for the nice words!

      Delete
  2. I agree. As far as the benefits we *share*, I benefit from eating more healthily, living in a clean, organized space, and spending quality time together. The benefits to my own mental and physical health and overall happiness are too numerous, but ultimately he shares in those benefits as well. Everybody has their own goals/dreams, and that’s great, but I cannot imagine not choosing to live this way if it’s an option. I don’t feel I am missing ANYthing from the world of work. Or kids. Quite the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! You made a good point, that your husband also shares in the benefits you receive from staying home when it comes to your health; so true. The other good thing about not having kids is that it doesn't stop childless women from volunteering with kids or helping kids in other ways; I enjoyed volunteering with school kids in the past, and I enjoy not having any at home. It's nice to hear from someone else who knows the joys of these lifestyle choices!

      Delete

Popular Posts: