Discipline Makes the Difference: Housework Secrets & Tips from a GenX Housewife

"I Don’t Need Motivation to do Housework. I Have Discipline."


My housework secret: I don’t wake up motivated to do housework. I wake up disciplined to do housework!

In fact, I go to bed knowing what needs to be done the next day, so that when I wake up I have my plan in place.

This is where my housework diary comes in handy so that I don’t have to remember everything, I just have to refer to my diary.

I Don’t Need Motivation to do Housework. I Have Discipline. Memes by JenExx
Even on days when I’m not at my best, I have disciplined myself to get a minimum amount of work done every day, and I can take care of what gets missed the following day.

I don’t waste time waiting for motivation (or caffeine) to kick in, and I don't procrastinate by scrolling social media feeds seeking out inspiration.

That only prolongs the work, because it takes away from time I can be doing housework.

I’d rather tackle housework with discipline and without rushing, and be done with it so I can relax in a clean home. 

Discipline is a muscle that has to be exercised every day; it is also a mindset that makes the physical work easier when my mind knows what needs to get done --- housework! 


How to become Disciplined about Housework and Make it a Habit:

1. Create a list of housework tasks to accomplish every day.

2. Do the tasks on the list every day. 

  • If a day gets missed, then get back on it the next day. 
    • The longer housework goes without getting done, the harder it is to start again; the fewer days that are missed, the easier it is to keep going.

3. Continue to do housework tasks every day for a month, then two months, and up to a year.

Housework isn't about motivation. It's about discipline. Memes by JenExx.
4. When the new year starts, pat yourself on the back for a year of accomplishing housework tasks, and keep going!

The more housework is done, the more it becomes a habit to the point that discipline and habit take over where motivation dies off. 


A year from now you will be glad you started today!


Have a housework question?

Leave it in a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts: